Chinese medicine says,
“If the normal qi is stored in the interior, pathogens cannot attack.”
Normal qi is our overall strength / vitality, which is the foundation of our immune system. Quite simply, if we are strong enough we will not get sick. Chinese medicine has a profound understanding on how to build this holistically. For example, over 2000 years ago, it was discussed that nourishing the earth element (digestion) strengthens the metal element (the lungs), which prevents you from getting sick. Thus a healthy digestive system is essential to our immune system, thus preventing colds, flu, and COVID. Western medicine now says that our microbiome (bacteria in our intestines) is responsible for 70% of our immune system. This is why for almost 2 decades, I have specialized in gut health & the microbiome through integrating functional medicine & Chinese medicine. Did you know there are specific probiotics* and herbal formulas that build respiratory tract immunity, preventing you from getting sick?
* Lactobacillus paracasei 8700, Lactobacillus plantarum HEAL9
Symptoms of Digestive weakness:
• Weakness in the arms and legs
• Sallow complexion
• Loose stools
• Low appetite
• Heaviness in the four limbs
• Stuffy feeling in chest or epigastrium
• Brain fog
Tips to Stregthen Digestion:
- Microbiome testing & taking specific prebiotics and probiotics for you!
- Eat warm easily digestible foods. I personally like kitchari in the fall and winter, which contains many spices that stregthen digestion.
- Treat your anxiety. Did you know that the earth element’s emotion is anxiety. That means when it is out of balance we worry and have anxiety and when we experience these emotions we damage our digestion. Chinese & functional medicine treats anxiety very well.
- When overeating at your holiday dinners, consider Bao He Wan. It is a very effective digestive formula that prevents food stagnation, bloating and aids digestion.
- Intermittent fasting greatly improves our microbiome, our immune system, and even helps you lose weight.
- Eat foods that build digestive function (Spleen qi). Minimize foods that are cold in nature and damp producing.
- Minimize foods high in sugar and refined white flour. Since cookie season is approaching, consider a healthy alternative, Sara’s Cosmic Cookies. I make no money off your purchase, it is just an amazing product.
Sara’s Cosmic Cookie Dough offers delicious and nutritious cookie dough that can be enjoyed raw or baked. Offering a healthier twist on traditional cookie dough, Sara’s Cosmic Cookie Dough is gluten-free, vegan and plant-based. Made with almond flour and sweetened with organic maple syrup… It’s out of this world delicious! Available at Alfalfa’s, Lucky’s and Whole Foods Markets, OR enjoy 20% off online at CosmicCookieDough.com with discount code “Holiday20”. Eating healthy never tasted so good!